Lavender essential oil is the most used essential oil in the world today, but the benefits of lavender were actually discovered over 2,500 years ago. Because of its powerful antioxidant, antimicrobial, sedative, calming and antidepressant properties, lavender oil benefits abound and it’s been used both cosmetically and therapeutically for centuries. Today, lavender is one of the most popular essential oils in the world. And for good reason. People are beginning to catch on to lavender oil benefits, for your body as well as your home.
The Egyptians used lavender for mummification and as a perfume. In fact, when King Tut’s tomb was opened in 1923, there was said to be a faint scent of lavender that could still be detected after 3,000 years. Early and modern aromatherapy texts advocate for lavender’s use as an antibacterial essential oil. The leaves and stems of the plant were used to prepare decoctions against digestive system diseases and rheumatism, and lavender was valued for its cosmetic purposes. The Romans used lavender oil for bathing, cooking and purifying the air. And in the Bible, lavender oil was among the aromatics used for anointing and healing. Because lavender oil contains such versatile properties and is gentle enough to apply directly to the skin, I consider it a must-have oil, especially if you are just getting started with using essential oils for your health.
- Add a few drops of Lavender oil to pillows, bedding, or bottoms of feet at bedtime.
- Keep a bottle of Lavender oil on hand to soothe occasional skin irritations.
- Freshen your linen closet, mattress, car, or the air by combining Lavender essential oil with water in a spray bottle.
- Take it internally to reduce anxious feelings.*
- Use in cooking to soften citrus flavors and add a flavorful twist to marinades, baked goods, and desserts.
Diffusion: Use three to four drops in the diffuser of your choice.
Internal use: Dilute one drop in 4 fl. oz. of liquid.
Topical use: Apply one to two drops to desired area. Dilute with a carrier oil to minimize any skin sensitivity. See additional precautions below.
Blends well with – Mandarin, Tea Tree & Thyme.